Original Jackaroo quaters, Giralia
Established in 1888, Giralia Station has aesthetic, historic and cultural significance. The original section of Giralia Station, known as the reception area is a prime example of construction in remote locations before the turn of the century. It provides an insight into the lifestyle of pastoralists in the Pilbara Region.
The first part of the homestead was built.
The lease was taken up by Freney-Kimbery Oil Co from the WA Government. This original grant was for 204.7 acres, which later amalgamated surrounding stations and became 750 000 acres.
John Byrne and Mark Freney, directors of Freney and Co auctioned Giralia.
A camel team passes the Settlers Hotel and stores of Miles & Co., Class Bros and Whitlock & Co., Carnarvon, ca. 1920
The Shearing Shed, Giralia, 1923
Additions to the original homestead were added.
On the 7th of September Giralia was bought by the Mortgagees, Dalgety and Co,. Ltd (large stock agent in Perth)
Early 1950's Mr Whitlock's grandson, Denver Frank Blake came to work as a jackaroo on Giralia.
Frank Whitlock (Mayor of Carnarvon) and his partners, Mr F. P. Loeffler, Major Temple and Mr Dawe, decided to secure their options at Artesian Station and Giralia Station, which thus formed Giralia Pastrol Company. A total of 675, 000 acres.
The property was carrying a flock of 44,000 sheep and produced a clip of 700 bales of wool during shearing.
The Shearing Shed, Giralia, 1923
Stockpens and outbuilding, Giralia, 1923
Now running Giralia as the manager, Denver F Blake and his wife Rae Janet Blake bought the property becoming the sole owners.
Further additions to Giralia's property was made and the area of the property expanded to 654 000 acres
In February the wool industry self-destructed, causing a culminating crash of the Australian Wool Corporation's reserve price scheme, a government-backed attempt to stabilise prices
Cyclone Vance path of destruction in 1999. Category 5.
On the 16th of March, Cylone Vance formed. By 6am on the 22nd Cycone Vance Went to a Category 5 Cylone. Blowing gusts uptown 215km/h, the cyclone caused massive damage to the original homestead.
Currently Giralia is destocked and is run by Denver H Blake (Denver F son) and his wife Jennifer Blake. Giralia is now an eco-tourism venture, where visitors can experience the authentic Australian outback.
With the collapse of the wool industry Giralia was sold to Department of Conservation and Land Management. Rae and Denver F Blake moved to Perth.
The original homestead, now the reception area Giralia, 2017
The West Australian Newspaper, 1925, September 4th
After the station bell ran at Giraita just at dawn there was time to look about the homestead before the summons for the early meal. It is roomy and comfortable, but rather lacking in definite design, but the reason for this was explained to me when Mr. Dawe supplied the information that two houses had been joined together.
When the Giralia Pastoral Co. was formed about two years ago, Sir. Frank Whitlock, whose name is a household word in the Gascoyne district, where he had been resident for many years, secured options over both Giralia and Artesian. Mr. Nat Harper was the owner of Giralia, and Mr. Kelly (a previous partner with Mr. Harper at Artesian), then held that station, with Mr. Iran Gibbs and two other returned soldiers.
Mr. Whitlock and his partners, Mr. F. P. Loeffler, Major Temple and Mr. Dawe, decided to take up their options, and when matters had been finalised one of the first moves adopted was to concentrate under one roof. It was then that the home at Artesian was transported to Giralia to form a continuation of the other.
The combined properties at that time contained 700,000 acres, but 200.000 acres on the North-East corner were sold to Dr. Stenning and Mr. Stoddar: (of the Engineer-in-Chief Department) and about 33,000 acres were purchased (from Mrs. Kealy on the southern end). This makes the entire block more shapely and gives a total holding of 550, 000 acres, which is a very nice property.The station is divided into 22 paddocks, with 23 equipped wells. There are five good wells on Nipper's Creek, and others on Giralia Creek, so that as far as delopment has reached there is a good showing of waters. But some of their best country adjoining Yanrey (on the north) and Bullara (on the south), has yet to be tackled.
On all of the Artesian country the water is good everywhere, and another well was struck there recently at 28 ft, which supplies 5.000 gallons a day of beautiful water. On what was previously considered to be difficult country to cope with, success has also attended the efforts of this newly-formed company in its search for the precious fluid. An abandoned shaft, which bad been Bunk by some earlier selector to a depth of 70ft was recently extended to 120 ft, and a good supply was obtained. Every well struck in some of this pastrol country is a little gold mine, as it means the unlocking of a further extent of useful territory for permanent grazing.